Thursday, February 17, 2011

Paul Noble

Paul Noble is a British artist who comes from the village Dilston, Northumberland.


It seems that this drawing depicts a part of a small village. The whole painting  gives me a kind of tranquil sense becasue there are no people, animal or anything lively. I am fond of the pool shown in the picture and I think it is not easy to draw this "mirror" vividly because it needs a good understanding of the techniques of symmetry and overall mix colour effects.  We can see certain things clearly like trunks, walls of houses although the overall background is a little dark and vague.


We can clearly see that the whole area of drawing is divided into four identical parts just like the technique we used in class and the base of this huge object consists of immense rectangular stones which enables me to recall the practice "using rectangles and squares to fill the positive and negative spaces". There is a main entrance leading to the inside of this tower like building. I cannot really figure out what it is, but the thing on the top makes it look like an ancient sturcture of religion or worship.


Do you see these dark trenches and the lights above? At first sight, I think these strange looking structures are the superficial entrances of the secretive underground buildings. The light coloured  ground and plants suggest a desert area to me. There is a person standing in the middle of the two thick stones. I cannot say exactly what he is doing right now. Maybe he regards the place as a urinal.

No comments:

Post a Comment