Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Robyn O’neil

The artist I want to talk about today is Robyn O’neil who is from Omaha. I found that she likes creating drawings with winter backgrounds which are usually related to a group of cult-like radical people. In general, the general atmosphere is pretty dark, presenting a kind of hopeless feeling.

A group of crazy people are fighting with each other and it seems that some of them are injured or may be even killed. The only audience, an owl, is staring at them indifferently. The thing I like most is its atmosphere. Chilly snow covered ground, dark sky and deciduous trees all present a kind of desperation. I think these are the most successful elements.




This time, the focus is not the environment any more. Apparently, the main characters in the drawing are these people. For some reasons, I have a negative feeling toward these people. Maybe I dislike their dark uniforms, or their gestures. Any way, for me, it presents an evil, cold blooded, well-organized,cunning and stubborn group.


Here is an interesting device. It looks like a combination of the wheel of a unicycle and a part of automobile. I think it must have a unique sense of ride. However, I wonder how can it  deal with the problem of sight block? At least I cannot tolerate a bold black line while I am operating this machine.
Perhaps I am wrong because the aim of existence of this drawing is to enlighten us rather than invent something real.

No comments:

Post a Comment